What is the school counselor's role?
School counselors are certified/licensed educators who improve student success for ALL students by implementing a comprehensive school counseling program.
School Counselors help ALL students:
- Apply academic achievement strategies
- Manage emotions and apply interpersonal skills
- Plan for postsecondary options (higher education, military, work force)
School counselor duties include providing:
- Individual student academic planning and goal setting
- Classroom lessons based on student success standards
- Short-term counseling to students
- Referrals for long-term support
- Collaboration with families/teachers/administrators/community for student success
- Advocacy for students at various student-focused meetings
- Data analysis to identify student needs and challenges
- Acting as a systems change agent to improve equity and access, achievement and opportunities for all students
(source: The American School Counselor Association, “The Role of the School Counselor”, www.schoolcounselor.org)